April 17, 2009

Morocco











So. Morocco. Insane. I'm not exactly sure what I was expecting, but it was like a culture shot straight to the jugular. I went straight to Marrakech when we arrived, and spent my whole time there. I wanted to get to Rick's on the last day just to say I'd been, but the weather was nasty in Casablanca, and I was exhausted and probably would have been late getting back on the ship. Marrakech is fabulous though. Initially, it was a little overwhelming. I ended up by my self for about half of the first day and for the first night. I got split from the group because we were trying to decide where to stay, and I went to the one I thought would be best, and they did the same. My room consisted of a queen sized bed and a sink. That's it. The walls were about 4 feet from the bed on every side. It was a little sketch, but it was also right on the square-- right in the beating heart of Marrakech. So I got settled in, and started wandering around the markets by myself, and, honestly, I got a little nervous for a bit. I don't get nervous that easily, and I like being alone, but it was just so completely different from anything I've experienced. The markets are set up like this: imagine a very large plaza-- they call it the square, but its shaped more like an angular potato-- the plaza serves like the hub, and from it-- from all sides-- snakes and mazes of streets shoot out, winding together like the web of a drunken spider. Along these side alleys are packed every sort of vendor or peddler you can imagine-- every single one tugging, pulling, yelling at you to by their wares. Row after row and shop after shop stocked with scarves, robes, bangles, fake purses, fake sunglasses, spices, shoes, jewelry, paintings, pots-- anything you can possibly imagine-- blast every one of your senses to the point of overstimulation. I spent two days lost in these markets (souqs). To buy something, you have to barter, and I found out I love to barter! It's so much fun. I made several purchases, and each time it's like a game between you and the shop keeper. What makes it more fun is the fact that most Moroccans are the nicest people I've ever met, so the whole operation is done with a smile and laughter.

Then there's the square itself. Every evening as the sun begins to head down, the plaza comes alive. Con artists and performers of all sorts gather, and crowds come together to watch the excitement. I was pleased to see that the majority of the spectators were actually Moroccan, not just tourists. There are funny dancers dressed in wild colors, snake charmers, monkeys, storytellers, and the food stands. Oh, the food!!! When the square is really going, there are rows and rows of food stands, and, when they all start cooking, the steam rises and the smell rises, and everyone just starts salivating. There are lamb kabobs, various kinds of delicious breads, pastries, olives, dates, figs, fish, calamari, snails-- which, by the way, are delicious, and much much more. Probably my very favorite was the mint tea. It's everywhere, and it's sooo delicious.

Oh yeah, I rode a camel, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment